Thread: exit strategy?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Jeff

Default Interesting

Interesting topic. I am going through a divorce and my collecting was a factor in the divorce, and definitely a factor in the settlement. Of course, she resented everything I enjoyed, but I digress. Anyway, the divorce has made me reassess my entire life and what really matters. Since we mutually agreed to file back in Feb., I have only purchased an Exhibit set via a Legendary auction, a McGraw T3, and a few E90-1s and T202s to finish those sets. That is not very much activity for me. Cards are just not very important any more.
Instead of spending the money on cards, I spent $1200 for up close floor seats to a Keith Urban concert attended by my oldest son and daughter and their friends. Those times will be forever in their memories rather than the card I may have purchased with that money, which they will never care about. My hobby budget has now become a travel/family experiences budget.
The new house I bought will need to be decorated and there is plenty of space for my collection and my Dad's collection, which I will officially own someday (hopefully later than sooner). But binders do not display well, so I am thinking about finishing the 20 or so sets that we have nearly completed (luckily many only need 5 or less cards) and either use the money to renovate the house, pay off the mortgage, put in a retirement account, put into display items, or use for another nice experience or vacation with my kids.
So, I guess I will start to phase out gradually by selling what I really do not need and saving some nice display items that the kids might find interesting in their homes that will remind them of me. The rest will get sold and split amongst them. Sad to think about, but no matter how long it has been apart of us (50 years for me), there always comes a time when it all ends.

Last edited by wrapperguy; 10-31-2011 at 04:57 PM.