View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 04:21 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post
Fun stuff!
Indeed!

Neat to see anything related to Victoria baseball. The current Royal Athletic Park is oddly configured to accommodate baseball and other sports like soccer and rugby. I have no idea how the grandstands and ballfield were sited back in the day, whether they were in the same location or perhaps more to the east toward Cook Street. Very few old houses left around the immediate perimeter now and the few I found look nothing like the ones shown in your photos. In the case of Bryan's postcard there is one house with an arrow-like shape that also appears in the colorized 1935 photo. Along with the V's on the uniforms it's what made me think it was Vancouver. As for the year of my postcard you are correct. Saw in my notes that it was in fact 1915, just slipped my brain. Old age will do that to a person. A perusal of the 1913 Van and Vic teams at bbref.com indicates a number of Obak subjects. Don't have the time myself to try to make photo matches but hope you are able to ID some of the players.

Cheers -

DMcD