View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 PM

As far as sports items goes nothing big in the last 20 years or so but back in the day I found a quilt made with tobacco felts. The inner felts were flags but around the outer edge were 170 B 18 blankets. I paid $600 for the piece and then consigned it to a sports auction where it sold for $3600.

Now the one that REALLY hurts.

About seven years ago, I was at a local Goodwill and found a nice looking vase the was different than every vase I usually see. I took it off of the shelf and looked at the bottom and saw what looked like the letters O D K. I called my mother and had her look on eBay for something with these initials and she didn't find anything.

I put the vase in a cart and walked around for awhile looking for more stuff. After not finding anything else to buy, I decided that since mom couldn't find anything on eBay about the vase, I didn't want to risk the $7.99 they were asking and I put the vase back on the shelf and left.

Fast forward a few years and lo and behold, Antiques Roadshow was in Indianapolis and this vase was on the show. What I thought was O D K on the bottom of the vase was instead O B K and stood for Overbeck Pottery. The vase was from the 1920's and was appraised to be worth between $50,000 to $100,000 dollars.

Makes me sick every time I think about it.

David