View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 04:16 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

OK guys.... please pardon the lengthy story you are about to read here (if you so choose). A flashback to the 1970's begins this story.
I returned to this hobby in 1977. I credit my two Daughters (teenagers), who encouraged me to recover the BB cards from my youth.
Debbie and Zoe have always been avid BB fans. In 1977, they began collecting BB cards after seeing Reggie Jackson's amazing 3 HRs
in the final game of the 1977 World Series.

My large collection of the Sportscards from my youth were stored in the attic of my folks home. This 1949 set was the first one I was
interested in completing. In the process of acquiring the 40+ cards I needed, I was mystified by certain variations in it. And, so were
the hobby Price Guides of that period. Thru my hobby friend in Florida, John, I met another serious collector of 1949 Bowman cards in
North Carolina, Ralph Triplette.
Ralph and I compared our theories regarding these variations. We concluded that we should publish them in SCD. When we contacted
SCD, Bob Lemke thought our "ground-breaking" story was better suited as an article in their colorful BASEBALL CARDS Magazine. Our
article was published in Spring 1983 issue of BASEBALL CARDS Mag. Jim Beckett included our findings in his 1983 Beckett Price Guide.

Between Ralph and I, we have (or have seen) 6 of the 7 uncut sheets (36 cards each) which were printed in the production of this set.
The elusive 7th sheet has never been seen. On display here is my simulated version of it, which I put together many years ago. Note,
the 12 variations in the 1949 BOWMAN set are printed on the lower rows of this last sheet. Ralph and I have evidence (in the form of
overprinted backs) of the exact placement of 32 cards on this sheet. When I constructed this simulation, four of the variations on the
bottom row were unknown. Recently, additional evidence has surfaced and I have switched the placement of these 4 cards (as noted).

…………………………………....…….………… ^________________________^ ……….……….. ^_____________^

Note....evidence surfaced in recent years which made me switch the positions of Dillinger & Murtaugh, and switch Fitzgerald & Priddy

Stay tuned for more information regarding the 12 variations in this set.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 11-22-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.