View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Default What's your oldest baseball related item?

Posted By: barrysloate

Rob is right. I did remember a few other important early pieces I once had. My morning coffee helps remove the cobwebs:
12) 1859 Atwater BBC full plate tintype- the earliest known full plate baseball tintype, and perhaps earliest in any size or format
13) Approximately 8 different 1859-61 Knickerbocker BBC challenge letters, against teams such as Star, Excelsior, etc.
14) 1861 Brooklyn Atlantics team CdV- earliest known CdV image of an important team
15) 1864 Resolutes of Brooklyn CdV- very early image of Henry Chadwick holding a scorebook, plus images of Mort Rogers and Dick McBride

These have all since been sold. They come and go.

Jason, regarding scans- I don't know how to scan on this site; however, the 1858 ambrotype was sold in my February, 2003 auction and is pictured there. I can forward you an extra copy if you don't have one (what is your last name- are you on my mailing list?) The 1852 constituition is kind of plain and quite delicate- I might actually put it up for sale sometime in 2005, so I will at that time have some good digital images taken of it. I think it is 12 pp., and even has a rudimentary scorecard printed in the back, probably the earliest depiction of a scorecard in any printed text. That's all for now- happy holidays to all! Barry