View Single Post
Old 02-04-2024, 09:50 PM
Michael Skiles

Default High Numbers

I can't speak to any of the cards before 1962. I started collecting in 1962 and I nearly completed the set from packs. I was living in Detroit at the time. (I was missing 10 or so cards which I picked up years later on at shows) I had the green tints and alternate poses. (Wally Moon etc..) In 1963 I never saw any series cards after the 4th Series in stores. In 1964 nothing after the 5th series. I collected an entire set in 1965 with the 7th series showing up in the stores in the middle of August. In 1966 nothing after the 6th series. (Sent a dollar to Topps and bought 10 cards in the 7th Series ordering by number) In 1967 once we got past the 5th series, cards were hard to find. I had partial series 6th and 7th series cards. (Had a Seaver rookie but no Carew) In 1968 I finished the set in August as well as 1969. 70,71,72 much the same as the early 60's. (I sent away to Topps for the final series in 70 and 71.) That all being said......
The owner of the local market where I bought most of my packs explained that he only got what he got from the wholesaler. If the wholesaler didn't order he didn't get. If the wholesaler didn't sell all of cards to local stores he may not order any more if he got orders later in the summer he would send what he had. ( I remember opening packs in late August in 1966 and 1970 and getting 4th or 5th series cards. ) The wholesalers basically controlled distribution.