View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Let me ask you this, Travis. When people here post a scan of an Ali/Joe Louis/Sonny Liston autograph, and you reply that "it's bad." Do you spend 15-30 minutes studying the autograph on the screen? If not, how can you come to the conclusion that the signature is bad? According to you, the TPA's must spend a good amount of time comparing known examples before a valid opinion can be reached. Can you see the discrepancy here, Travis?
I cannot speak for Travis, but there does not seem to be a discrepancy here. You are choosing 3 of the most common or commonly forged signatures for him to answer to.

If it is bad it is easier to tell than if it is good. There is a range for everything. Mantle autographs that are obviously bad are easy to detect from a scan. Earlier signatures may take longer. If the scan does not pick up all the nuances in his signature clearly, it may also take longer to authenticate.

Based on Travis' expertise, I do not think anyone would question his opinion on an obviously bad Sonny Liston or Joe Louis. I would think he would hesitate to declare a little known heavyweight, or an obscure signature to be good/bad just from a scan.