View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Default eBay sales declining

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

Back on the subject I was thinking more on Bobbys numbers and I think a lot of the reason the total value of cards on vcp is down is because a lot more lower end cards are getting graded.

I know when I first started submitting cards years ago I only sent in my best and most expensive cards, say in a set like T206 only the HOFers were sent in. When I started collecting exhibits a couple years ago very few commons were graded only the stars but now you can find pretty much all cards graded and for sale. I think over time more of the lower valued cards are being sent in and this would have the effect you are seeing on total sales value. The average value of the card being sold is lower, regardless of whether the card is selling for more or less.

Another factor is I also think someone with very high end cards will hold onto them in the current economic enviorment more so than someone who has less expensive cards. I have put up for auction many cards worth less than $10 even thou I think the market is soft but I have not let any of my higher valued cards go to avoid losing a lot on one card.