View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Fair enough. Two key things to keep in mind when buying vintage. First, can you tell how the card has aged? For example, cards aren’t going to have uniformly round corners from age. Corners generally just don’t round. You also are unlikely to get something that is completely stained but otherwise immaculate. Second, can you figure out why a particular card isn’t graded? I’m not exactly a graded card collector myself but it’s atypical for a collector that has graded cards (ie, the person you are buying from) to have Mantles in that condition that aren’t graded if real.

I’ll second what another poster said about SGC slabs. I had a $2,000 card fall out on my floor once and there was no visible frosting on the slab after—the card was legit and fortunately wasn’t damaged so no concern. But just something to keep in mind regarding their slabs, which could theoretically be resealed after….

I’ve got a PSA slab I have to try resealing just to see…
These are all very good questions to ask and very good points. When you say it like that it seems obvious the Mantles, Mays and Ruth are out of place and suspect. I'll ask the seller some questions, but am leaning toward just putting anything suspect aside and trying to make a deal for the low to mid priced stuff he has. He has enough of that to keep me busy for awhile without including the big hitters.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk