View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 06:01 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauto5 View Post
You don't sound mean, and normally I would've referred this collection to a friend locally. However, I am at a point that I need to generate income for my family and if I can navigate this correctly I'm confident I can do so. I've been a residential realtor for 17 years, and I haven't sold a house in 2023. I've sold off most of my own collection to pay bills. I'm confident I can do right by the seller, whom I'm convinced is innocent and ignorant of what he has/doesn't have regarding authenticity.

I was astute enough to come here and ask for help when I realized I was in over my head, and you guys have been immensely helpful. This forum is legendary in the card world, and yall haven't disappointed.

I watch Ken Burns Baseball every year before opening day. I love baseball, it's magical to me. My favorite movie is Field of Dreams.

I freely admit I'm in over my head, and I'll probably make an offer on the collection sans any big ungraded cards. The Gehrig is still a question mark but I'll figure it out.

Sometimes life circumstances call for riding out into the unknown, into danger on the frontier. This is one of those times for me and I'm determined to thrive in it, though I may bleed some along the way. Thanks for looking out regardless. I mean that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Fair enough. Two key things to keep in mind when buying vintage. First, can you tell how the card has aged? For example, cards aren’t going to have uniformly round corners from age. Corners generally just don’t round. You also are unlikely to get something that is completely stained but otherwise immaculate. Second, can you figure out why a particular card isn’t graded? I’m not exactly a graded card collector myself but it’s atypical for a collector that has graded cards (ie, the person you are buying from) to have Mantles in that condition that aren’t graded if real.

I’ll second what another poster said about SGC slabs. I had a $2,000 card fall out on my floor once and there was no visible frosting on the slab after—the card was legit and fortunately wasn’t damaged so no concern. But just something to keep in mind regarding their slabs, which could theoretically be resealed after….

I’ve got a PSA slab I have to try resealing just to see…