Thread: skiing cards
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 10:23 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Peter,

You could go a long time looking for 'cards' of skiers. Just about every skier who competes in world cup, alpine and nordic (x-c, ski jump, nordic combined) and IBU (International Biathlon Union) events has a fan card or postcard. A back story. In January I purchased a group of about 20 magic lantern slides with wooden box from the 1936 Summer Olympics out of a post auction sale from a German auction house. They were shipped by DHL and got to US Customs in NY. A customs employee stole the package. The auction house had to reimburse me which they did with a credit. In their next post auction sale I picked up 3 lots of autographs of Alpine skiers, Nordic skiers and biathletes. There are over 350 signatures total in the three lots. Well over 100 are fan cards which are mostly the size of postcards, with a few card size ones. Here are a few:

ski-1.jpg

ski-2.jpg

ski-3.jpg
This Podborski is a sticker

ski-4.jpg

ski--5.jpg
These cards came from a sheet, much like SI for Kids. Stjerner means star. Samleserie is the Norwegian company that issued these.

ski-6.jpg
This is a great 'deckle edge' card. These four won a bronze medal in the 4x7.5 km biathlon relay at the 1972 Olympics in Sapporo. A lot of the baseball collectors talk of getting multiplayer cards signed. This one has that. Four original signatures under the facsimile ones.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”