View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 06:52 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
So I'm perusing the mile high catalog that just arrived today and I stop on page 116 as I see a slew of babe ruth cards...specifically lot 308...a w575-2 babe ruth hand cut card. graded by SGC a 1. 2 of the three corners are gone...1 is dangling. Hand cut...missing 2-3 corners...SGC graded it a 1.

I've experienced SGC as of lately giving tons of cards the scarlet A...in many cases the explanation is a mystery.

This is certainly not meant to bash SGC...as I find them miles better than PSA.

Grading standards have changed with the wind with PSA over the years...SGC grading incredibly harsh these days. Why? To reward early adopters? We all know some receive preferential treatment when it comes to grading.

My query is this...is there any other hobby...area of collecting...where the authenticators/expert graders are as inept as they are in this hobby. Where the standards have changed so much over time...where there is so much ineptitude and corruption.

I have a hard time believing there is?
I am not in any other hobby so I cannot specifically comment on the comparison in other collectibles markets but in this one, we really need to expect and get better on the authentication side. There is no consistency over time, no consistency from TPG to TPG and at any given moment, favors are clearly being done where the cards are graded based on who submitted them, as opposed to what was submitted. I love holders but I find the whole game disgusting but not disgusting enough to collect raw just disgusting enough to stop lining the pockets of the TPG until they get it right--an exercise in futility.