View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Default Who can you compare Derek Jeter going back to 1869.

Posted By: john/z28jd

The proof that Jeter is overrated is "the catch". Diving into the stands to make one of the greatest plays ive ever seen to quote John Sterling. Everyone knows the catch. When i heard it on the radio on the way home it sounded like the greatest catch ever but when i saw it on replay i said wow that was a nice catch too,i cant wait to see "the catch".....but it never came. It should be referred to as "the bad landing" because the catch was almost routine,it was a running catch,you see about 5 better each day of the season. Its Jeter tho so a running catch in fair territory mind you,with a bad decision(most people wouldve slid,or jumped over and stayed on their feet) at the end.

David Wright actually made a diving catch where he actually dove into the crowd to make the catch last year,much more difficult than the Jeter catch yet ive seen that catch about 200 times less and hes from New York! The even better proof of how overrated that catch is because it was done by Jeter is the fact Pokey Reese made a better catch in the same exact game!! Find a tape of the game,watch the catch by Reese in the same spot and tell me in all honesty its not a better catch.

"The catch" won Jeter 2 gold gloves because he was not the best defensive shortstop either of the last 2 years.Tejada and Vizquel were better in 2004,Cabrera was much better in 2005 and he was a former gold glove winner who earned it.