View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 12:15 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
What may seem obvious to Net54 members often passes right under the nose of other collectors. Quite a large percentage of them hadn't even started participating in the hobby until 2020. I believe that's where eBay might have been coming from with this program; to make things more secure for newbies.

In theory, it sounds similar to what PSA/SGC/Beckett have been doing for years...offering peace of mind to people without the experience to properly evaluate their own cards.
Correct, and when those unsuspecting buyers return the cards, the seller has closed their DDA and eBay has to make the buyer whole. Or, the buyer finds out 2 years down the road the card is fake and will never buy from eBay again. I have to imagine eBay's losses in the collectables segment are huge.

I think that is what most are missing, the financial and reputational risk that is at stake for eBay with high value cards, and the never ending scams taking place in the hobby.

Personally I think this is a good move. And as a new collector, I would have felt this was a great move.