Thread: Babe Ruth $$$
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 09:53 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I suppose what I meant was I was surprised by the high price on the exhibit in light of the fact it is a duplicate pose and not a very flattering one… seems that population reports and valuations are finally catching up on more obscure issues.

Yeah the 48 Ruth still boggles my mind a little bit… The psychology of collecting it’s certainly interesting! I never would have guessed that Sanela ruths would be worth as much as they are now? And then we’ve got the tharp/Harrington like issues where are the prices escalated partially due to the old Red Sox pitching pose over 10 years old at that point. But I think now rarity has justified the values.

International issues are interesting as some have become popular and valuable whereas others have not? Also issues like fro joy… which are super scarce and relatively easily discerned from fake if you put in the time to learn?
Yea, I too was surprised by the exhibits price a bit, but I think the scarcity of the year is getting the recognition a bit more it seems.

It's funny you mention Sanella, I can't believe how much some of the high grade ones pull now! I think at one point I had 5 or 6 Sanellas. I now have one Sanella, raw, in the book and have 2 ASTRA variations which seem incredibly overlooked in comparison to Sanella. I bought a raw ASTRA that I got graded a PSA1 (hammered due to waviness but looks great) and I picked up an SGC 7 ASTRA , which i think I got at a great price. I forget graded pop ratio but I think it may be somewhere around 30-50X , maybe more?, Sanella (all variations combined) vs the ASTRA, and price has not caught up at all! I think Sanella is a great entry Ruth card and maybe many are just not familiar with the ASTRA back.

Yea, the prices on Tharps/Harringtons have been much stronger recently. Partially due to pose I guess but also the 20's black and white issues maybe getting more love.