Thread: Babe Ruth $$$
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 07:47 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I couldn't agree more. I find myself in between with respect to collecting vintage and modern cards. I have some "big(ish)" Trout rookies (Topps Gold, Diamond Anniversary, etc) and I have several vintage cards of similar value. But when I look at a nice ~$10k Babe Ruth card and compare it to a nice ~$10k Mike Trout (or pick your other modern superstar) I just can't help but always think the Ruth is by far the better buy, especially in the modern era of exponential hobby growth and investors flooding in. High-end vintage is going to dry up at some point. They'll continue to make Mike Trout 1-of-1's and gold refractors and kaleidoscope whoseitsandwhatsits gallore, but there will always be a limited supply of early legends. Even if there are ~10,000 33 Goudey Ruths out there, that's still just a drop in the bucket compared to modern cards. PSA alone has already graded over 50,000 Zion Williamson 2019 Prizm cards. And that's just ONE product line. They have numerous other product lines with similar pop counts (Mosaic, Chronicles, Donruss, Hoops, Optic, Contenders, Spectra, NT, on-and-on-and-on). There are well in excess of a million Zion Williamson rookie cards in total today, and that's no exaggeration. I just sold a modern high-end Zion Williamson card last week and used the funds to buy 2 Babe Ruths, a handful of nice Willie Mays cards, and a Jim Brown RC. And I'm a big believer in Zion Williamson too. But I'll take that trade any day of the week and twice on Sundays. History matters, and particularly in this hobby. I say get em while you still can.
My perhaps flawed summary of vintage versus modern is scarcity with the former is inherent and scarcity with the latter has to be carefully manufactured. Off too a d we can get back to Ruth but a question I’ve had is when a company like Panini gets an amazing signature of a superstar on a 1/1 does that card just go into the packaging department and end up in a random pack or is it done a bit differently? Just wondering if the Luka card and other that sell for a million plus are originally found in a pack by some random person and then make it into the market.