View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Let me preface all of this by stating the following:

I know very little about unopened tobacco packs. My observations, questions, and opinions are those of an amateur, as it pertains to this arena.
  • Boxes are three dimensional objects with six sides. The video only showed four of these sides. Why did the video not show all six sides?
  • The outer wrapper seemed unnaturally pliable for 100+ year old ephemera.
  • The inner packaging (box with the Piedmont logo, etc) seems to have significant wear along one of the long edges. This is at 0:25 of the video.
  • The edge with significant wear is also the edge formed where the two sides not shown during the opening of the video meet. This also presents at the 0:56 mark of the video.
  • The inner packaging also appears to have signs of wear and handling. This includes uneven areas of light soiling on the white portions. It also includes a flap which is not seated tightly (or neatly, for that matter) into the box. In short, it has the look of a box that has been handled and opened previously; it does not look like a product which remained untouched since being factory sealed.
  • When the card is first pulled (partially) from the pack, it looks too narrow for an unaltered Piedmont. I base this on pausing the video at the 0:47 mark and comparing the visible white spaces along the two vertical edges.
  • The person whose hands are visible places the card back into the box. Then, they use a razor blade to cut the tax seal/stamp, with the card still inside. If there was a chance the item could be a high-grade HOF T206 card, why would someone place a razor blade that close to it? The card was already partially extracted; the prudent thing to do would be to pull it the rest of the way out before inserting a razor blade into the box.
  • At the 1:08 mark, this video jumps from apparently seamless footage to something different. These last two seconds are likely irrelevant; however, it seemed worthwhile to mention the interrupted, multi-take footage.

Based on the comments above, I'm highly suspicious. I do not believe the "pack" remained unopened continuously for 110+ years, as claimed by the “unopened T206 Piedmont pack" title.

Dear Net45 Forum Members,

Firstly, I'd like to express my gratitude for the acknowledgment of my replica cigarette packs. It's truly flattering to see them discussed here on the forum.

I wanted to take a moment to clarify the intention behind these replicas. They are crafted as display pieces, meant to complement collectors' T206 card collections. Given the rarity and expense of the original packs, I saw an opportunity to offer enthusiasts an affordable and accessible way to enhance their collections with a unique touch.

I understand there may have been some confusion regarding their authenticity, but I assure you that the intention was never to deceive. It was odd to see Goldin posting it BTW... In fact, one unmistakable detail that seems to have been overlooked in the "detective work" is the prominent "Anvil" logo displayed inside the box upon opening. It's a subtle nod that distinguishes these replicas as homage rather than counterfeit.

To show my appreciation for the discussion and to extend a gesture of goodwill, I'd like to offer all forum members a 45% discount on these replica packs. Simply use the code "NET45" at checkout to enjoy the savings. (anvilcard.com)

Once again, thank you for the recognition and the opportunity to clarify.

- Mike