Thread: Cross Registry
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 02:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I think a lot more thought has to be put into the 'weighting' of the various third party grading companies. Although conventional wisdom points to a disparity in the grading of cards between the 'Big 3' organizations, who is actually going to decide how that thought is going to be quantified? If it's believed an SGC 7 card only equates to a PSA 6, does that mean each and every SGC 7 would only count as a 6? You can't mathematically establish that as a fact without examining each and every card from both companies. (Just a side note, but there's a crapload of PSA cards out there that look quite inferior to the numbers on the slabs. Ran into one yesterday.)

Perhaps it's like the Coke and Pepsi conundrum. Although they are (I assume) the biggest selling colas in the world, some people simply refuse to drink one of those brands due to their own personal soft drink tastes. That doesn't make either Coke or Pepsi sub-par to ALL consumers, it's only a personal preference. That same thought should be applied to this project.

To be clear, I'm not trying to push anything here. 95% of the cards I buy are PSA graded, and I readily admit it's because of the potential 'value' when the day comes to sell them. That is the reality of the market. But with this new registry undertaking, you have to very seriously consider the fundamental principles that are the backbone of the proposed endeavor. To eliminate any type of monkey business, perhaps a PSA 6, SGC 6, and a BVG 6 should each be simply entered as a six in the registry. Again, if these grading companies are trusted by the collecting community (to various degrees, I'm sure), then they should be on a level playing field. Just think about how much potential BS that would avoid. (Of course, some steps would have to be taken regarding how one outfit issues qualifiers, while the others don't. That aspect is a little tricky, because a card graded by SGC or BVG that's crazily OC, would still have a straight grade.)

Lastly, perhaps you can have a tribunal (ha ha) to judge specific cards on someone's registry, if complaints are lodged.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.