View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 01:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Interesting....what led you to conclude the gray backs (Mid-series - #131-190) were printed first? Also, did "...removing the mask" slowly occur with other cards?

There are other cards that seem to have different gradations of color in their variations. Common examples not posted yet include say the Kretlow (#42) which has a yellow and peach background on the black back variation. Same with Scarborough (#43) on both black and red back variations.
Zach, you need to re-edit your first post. The Wilson is card #327.
Also, as noted in the H&S link Al once provided, Kretlow has 3 total variations. Yellow, Peach and also Orange, but the orange is on the red back cards.
Also, Ray Boone has 3 different front colors. A darker brownish if you will compared to the red back version but also a lime green front on the other black back.
I'm trying hard to find that fingerprint variation that Ted mentioned but I'm having a difficult time. I believe, IIRC, that was mentioned/shown in the 52 Topps thread? I thought it was Kuzuva, personally, but Ted would definitely know better than me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lou Kretlow black back yellow front variation.jpg (121.8 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Lou Kretlow black back peach front 52 Topps.jpg (90.6 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Lou Kretlow red back orange front 52 Topps .jpg (109.4 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg Ray Boone 52 Topps.jpg (115.8 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Ray Boone BB Lime front.jpg (78.6 KB, 412 views)