View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default 1948 Leaf Boxing Card Ad...

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

ADAM W

I think we do know.....and, as you know Jake LaMotta is card #102......so, their advertising is actually true. But, as we all
know LEAF only produced 50 cards. So, they skip-numbered these cards. They did the same for their 1949 BB and FB cards.
No big deal....in 1933 Goudey did a similar marketing ploy with their BB cards when they withheld a dozen Low #s until their
November release of their last series of 24 cards (World Series issue).

And, as a collector of these 1948 Boxing cards, I can tell you that they were very, very popular, Us kids back then spent a
ton of our pennies buying 100's of these Boxing cards. Hey, we were expecting to find at least 102 cards. After a while, I
recall the kids in our neighbor hood comparing cards and we realized that there were no more than 49 to a complete set.
From my original collection of these, I recovered 4 - Joe Louis cards, several Jack Dempsey, Kid Chocolate and Tony
Christoforides cards (besides at least a 100 more of the other Boxers).

And, as I said in a prior post here....these cards were so popular that Leaf Gum printed up more in early 1949. The proof of
this is the availability of these cards on GRAY cardboard. Leaf produced all their sports card using GRAY cardboard in 1949.

TED Z