View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default Ever talk to a ballplayer ?

Posted By: Trae R.

I too was lucky growing up. I made friends with a kid in middle school who's step-dad was a trainer for The Rangers. We lived in Pt.Charlotte,FL where they ran their Spring Training and I was fortunate enough to pretty much enjoy free reign about the field, locker room, practices, etc. We had a blast, and I got more autographs and memorabilia than I knew what to do with. When I moved away (back to my previous home) all of my friends were awe-struck by all the cool stuff I had and it was nothing to me so I ended up giving all of the items I had away to all of my them as holiday gifts, birthday gifts, etc. One of them still has some of the Nolan Ryan stuff I gave him. I don't really regret giving the stuff away either as it was worth it to see my friends as happy as I was when I received the items.

As far as talking to the players, there are no conversations I can remember in specific as it was mostly small talk stuff - I didn't realize how great I had it. I also got to race the mascot around the bases for a home game, and play catch with quite a few of the players, including "The Man Himself" Nolan Ryan.