View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default Ever talk to a ballplayer ?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I was lucky enough to work for Ed Keetz for 6 years as a young kid. I started when I was 11, and I would sit on stage each week with the autograph guest and take tickets or pass the item along to be signed. Trivial tasks, but for an 11 year old kid - it was incredible. I worked with well over 200 signers in that time and have many many fond memories of conversations with them. In the interests of time, I will share only a few.

I had a 4 hour car ride with Tommy Henrich in which he explained to me where he stood in every statistical category imaginable. One of the sharpest guys I ever met!

Sitting at a bar in the Albany airport with Whitey Ford, Ed Keetz, and my father, watching a Yankee game in 1998. Whitey spent 2 hours breaking down every person to bat and comparing them to hitters of his day that he faced.

Sitting on the porch of the Otesaga in Cooperstown, NY with Warren Spahn and his wife when I was 11. He told me about how he holds the record for career home runs by a pitcher with 35 and my response was "that's all you had?" (remember, I was 11).

Having BBQ dinner with Moose Skowron and Hank Bauer - two of the absolute nicest men you will every meet, but quite possibly the two slopiest BBQ chicken eaters out there.

Playing catch for about 20 minutes with Jim Plamer and having him attempt to show me how to throw a slider.

Asking the woman that accompanied Jim Brown to the signing if he was his daughter (since she was about 22 years old) only to find out it was his wife.

and last but not least...

Having my father host a backyard BBQ/dinner for 10 Negro League legends in 1997ish. In attendance where Buck O'Neil, Lester Lockett, Joe Barnes, Double Duty Radcliff, Casey Jones, and a few others. All told stories of the old days, laughing, drinking and remembering friends they had in common, etc. ALL went out into our large front yard and tossed the ball around with me. However, the best moment was listening to Buck explain how he got the nickname "Nancy". Many people don't know that Stachel Paige used to call him Nancy. As it turns out, Satchel paige met this girl named Nancy. At some point, Satchel invited Nancy to join him on the road and see him play. However, that same night, Lahoma, Satchel'a girlfriend (and future wife) came to meet Satchel. Buck was in the hotel eating when he sees Lahoma walk in, and he knew Satchel had Nancy with him. They were able to hide Nancy in the room next to Buck, which was right next to Satchel's. Later that night, Satchel leaves Lahoma in his room and goes to find Nancy. He starts knocking on Nancy's door and calling her name. Buck can hear Lahoma wake up and try to unlock Satchel's door, so he quickly runs out of his room next to Satchel as Lahoma opens the door and says "here I am to Satchel". Satchel then says "Nancy - I've been looking all over for you" back to Buck.