View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Default Who do you think deserves to be in the HOF!!

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Fred,

Still waiting for a legitimate reason to discount the careers of the many still remaining deserving Negro Leaguers who, like many deserving 19th century players, will never get in. It's easy for people to belittle the careers of the recently elected group of Negro Leaguers, especially it's been suggested that their Cuban League careers were factors in their election.

In fact, there were specific instructions to the voting committee to only consider their American careers. In fact, they were only supposed to consider their official Negro League careers.

Also, you make your opinion about the Negro Leagues pretty clear by comparing it to Japan and the minor leagues as well as other "lesser" leagues. It's crazy how bad black players were before 1947 and how good they immediately became after that. Something in the pigmentation of their skin must have been triggered because prior to Jackie Robinson, the top 5 career home run leaders were all white. And yet now, only one is.

Let's not forget that it's the NATIONAL Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. It's not the WORLD Baseball Hall of Fame, although it really should be. It's also not the MAJOR LEAGUE Hall of Fame. It's the NATIONAL Baseball Hall of Fame. How does Sadaharu Oh fit in? How in the world does Lefty O'Doul not belong?

Rhys, I'm glad you further explained your point as it makes much more sense to me now. Actually, I completely agree with you about Sol White and Effa Manley. White got in largely because of his book, but was a decent player and an important early historian, so to speak, for the Negro Leagues. I wouldn't have voted for him, but it's not as unwarranted as Effa Manley. Personally, I think her election had more to do with someone writing a book ABOUT her than anything she ever did. Is being a woman in addition to having one of the voters write a book about you enough to make it to Cooperstown? Apparently so. But I've yet to hear a good argument for why she's deserving. Even so, I do like the idea of a woman being elected, just because I know how much it will piss some people off. Other than Manley and White, the committee elected all legitimate HOFers. Unfortunately, several legitimate candidates didn't make it.

Well, in order to quit banging my head against a brick wall, and to stick with the original theme of the thread, here's who I'd put in of the ones mentioned in the original post:

FOR SURE:

Left O'Doul
Curt Flood (pioneer)
Gil Hodges (1969 Mets puts him over the top)
Ron Santo
---

ON THE FENCE, PROBABLY YES:

Thurman Munson
Tony Oliva
Billy Martin (manager)
---

ON THE FENCE, PROBABLY NO:

Rocky Colavito
Roger Maris (great all-around baseball skills)
---

ONES I LIKE WHO SIMPLY SHOULD NOT BE IN:

Al Oliver (2,700+ hits, 7-time all-star)
Dick Allen (feared hitter, 7-time all-star)
---

As I mentioned earlier, this list does not include the many Negro Leaguers and 19th Century players who I believe are deserving but will never get in.

Also, while Buck O'Neil is a worthy HOFer (and will get in at some point) there are many Negro Leaguers who are more deserving than him who will never get in.

-Ryan