View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 09:30 PM

You're right, Mike. Uniformity makes for better display power.

I imagine since PSA rarely grades an unfolded JELL-O box, and since graders have their own idea of how the box should be oriented in the holder, ..... and since PSA loves to listen to collectors for their ideas of how they should do things Try your best to suppress the feeling of being screwed, and bask in the beauty of your unfolded '62 JELL-O white whales with ultra-high grades! I am very, very happy for you. I'd love to own the Early Wynn, but I'll just be pleased to gaze at your neat scan. Looking at your suite of sweet boxes, the Wynn is the one that needs to be re-holdered and oriented as the others are.

If you're going to the National, bring 'em both to show PSA; perhaps they would re-holder for nothing, and decide with you as to what would be the best way to holder it. My gut feeling is they'd look at you with a "Beat it, boy; Ya bother me!" glare. What I'm really suggesting is, don't they have a holder that would accommodate a 1962 box straight on, without turning it on its side? Both my unfolded boxes were done by SGC, and that's how they did it, and I love the appearance.

--- Brian Powell

PS---As I reflect upon your "ultra-high grades", it is quite true that they are ultra-high for the idiotic standards PSA begrudgingly judged your boxes. However, it just doesn't compute with what I know of the unfolded boxes' provinance. Don't they have any clue these are 1 of 1s, and how literally impossible they survived in pristine condition, having escaped the ravages of what would normally occur to a retail box offering a single baseball card??? Therefore, to judge unfolded boxes as yours with numbers such as 5 - 6, based upon what they grade a standard gum card, when in reality they are 9s and 10s, leaves me with some "full of feces" remarks about TPG immature sense of appropriate wisdom for rare items that are not regular old gum cards. How did I formulate my deep-seated TPG beliefs on this matter, you might ask? Because SGC would "only" give my two 1962 JELL-O unfolded beauties that are in the same pristine condition as yours the blunted, insulting graded of "A" for authentic. Since they couldn't open up the boxes to examine their insides for creases and other such degradations and potential qualifiers, the "A" was all they could say. At the time, I bought their explanation, but the more I think of it, it is extremely insulting to me. I know, they care not for our feelings; they're trying to make a lot of money giving their objective opinion as to a presented item's genuineness and its technical grade of condition. I am not lambasting their business, nor their desire to make money. The hobby needs them. I'm calling down their lack of knowledge and reasoning about this matter of unfolded 1962-1963 JELL-O boxes. At least PSA has seen the light of wisdom to grade your Malzone and Wynn with a 5 and a 6, respectively. That's much better than my pair of "A"s, though any collector could detect their pristine condition for themselves, but I realize with those words, .........

Last edited by brian1961; 03-09-2020 at 11:16 AM.