View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 08:43 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Yeah, I can understand the concern about counterfeiting and doctoring. It's sad that things have gotten to that. You can always take your slabbed cards out of the slabs too!
I've seen where people break them out of their holders. These days it seems that many collectors trust graded over non-graded cards and that's why I thought about trading my slabs for their raw equivalent, it might be a win/win of sorts. I guess the only complications would be that I would want to see the card I'm trading for in person and I wouldn't want to swap with a dealer who would want to trade to their advantage.

I saw your posting about taking some of your doubles to trade to a young collector who coldly turned them away. When I was 12 back in 1973 I put an ad in a local paper looking to trade cards. An adult by the name of Tom Tankersley responded and he brought over some 1957s. He allowed me to get the better end of the deal, for him it was important to get younger people involved in the hobby. That day some of the cards I remember getting were the Amoros, Kluszweski, Erskine, Robin Roberts, and Burdette. The Burdette had a crease and the others were probably in VG/EX condition, but it didn't matter- I got some really cool older cards. When it becomes a commodity the fun and wonderment disappear.

Last edited by Tere1071; 08-13-2020 at 11:21 PM.