View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 06:01 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Yeah, good for you! I'll tell you the truth, I don't like slabs. To me, they're sterile prisons for the card. That's just my opinion of course. I could see putting a T206 Wagner in one, but to me, they overtake the card. I do put my cards in toploaders and also in sleeves. But with the topholder, it's almost like holding the card itself. You can go through them the way you do with cards.
I posted in this thread way back and thought I was done, but I enjoy it so darn much! You guys are like my brothers from another mother! I don't really like slabs either, and I wonder how many collectors truly do? In no way am I trying to down how someone else collects. If someone likes collecting them, more power to them. No judgment from me whatsoever.

I am a bit frustrated though. At times I rant and rave about slabs, and I know I greatly prefer ungraded cards. Yet, many times when it comes that magical experience I like to call "buying time," I don't always find just a ton of ungraded options that I really feel good about. I have cracked slabs in my time but not lately. So, yes, I do have some lower to mid grade cards in a binder as part of sets, and I love them. I love handling them, smelling them, reading them, shuffling them, etc. But I also have a box with several slabs in them, and this is where most of the "value" of my collection rests.

I guess it doesn't have to be all one way or the other. Perhaps a little of both isn't the worst thing in the world. When buying a graded card, I still try and do my due diligence just as I would when buying an ungraded card. I believe in some cases, slabs have made us lazy in that we as collectors sometimes think we don't have to know as much about the cards we buy because the TPGer has done that work for us. As we all know, there are altered cards in TPGer slabs. I don't blindly accept their opinions. Plus, I want to do that work. That is collecting.