View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default Obtaining High Grade Vintage (looking for 1951 red backs)

Posted By: GregStarling

First, I'm new so if I'm out of place or doing something screwy, I apologize in advance.

I've just got back in the hobby a few months ago when I rolled my poker bankroll into sports cards to have a more "legit" hobby with less swings. I've been able to pick up a few decent cards off of eBay, and I've been buying small vintage collections out of newspaper ads. Here's my dilemma.

I collected cards a lot all the way through college, but I've been out of the hobby for over 5 years. I've decided to do some buying/selling for a little side money to further my collection (a lot of buying a 10K collection for 2K busting it up and reselling for a small profit). That being said, I'm just doing that to improve my personal collection. Right now, I'm trying to collect high grade vintage 1951 Topps Red backs. It's an easy set to collect, but as with any set over 50 years old finding high grade stuff is at the least, difficult. I found this place through google, and I checked out the buy/sell forums. What are the better places online to find good solid vintage stuff for sale? High End Auctions like Robert Edwards? eBay? Other sites out there? I've browsed through beckett.com and psacard.com, but really haven't found a lot of stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm trying to build this set with PSA 8-10s. Is it more cost effective to:
1. Buy the cards already graded
2. Buy raw cards that have good eye appeal and get them graded myself
3. Buy packs in great condition (graded or otherwise) bust em and send those cards in?

Thanks for at least reading a newbie post.