View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 01:02 PM
J@mes In.gram

I put the entire 53 Bowman set together over the span of just a few months, start to finish. I got a big start on the set by trading a bunch of my duplicate Topps stars (Mantle, Mays, Koufax, etc.) for the 53 Bowman color stars (Mantle, Reese, Musial, etc.). Then I got several big groups, including high numbers, from folks right here on net54. It was really fun putting the set together. All raw cards, with the exception of Smoky Burgess and one other (I forget which one) that were PSA slabbed that I cracked out because I wanted a raw set. Once done, I quickly realized I needed the black & white set to truly make it the entire 53 Bowman set. I just bought the entire black & white set of cards all at once. Then, still not fully satisfied, I had to have the cherry on top, so to speak, by having the BBBBGTM add-on black & white set of stars missing from the 53 black & white set (officially accepted as part of the set).

Now, looking back through my set, and as I noticed as I put the set together, I see two altogether different card backs. One is the usual grayish-brown, and the other is more reddish. It is definite, and not my bad eyesight. It is apparent only in the color cards, not the black & whites. No one has officially stated there are 2 different backs for 53 Bowman color cards, but other collectors of the set have noticed this, including folks here at net54.