View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Shaun Fyffe

It has been a long while since I posted in this thread. I now have access to archives to historical black newspapers, and have already found more evidence related to this issue's timeline and release range:

Here's a newspaper article from July 1947 from New York Amsterdam News (I have a PDF of the original that is much larger and easier to read if anyone wants it. This article shows that the original Facsimile card was distributed for free to the majority of Black families in Harlem, NY prior to July 1947. In July 1947, it was distributed in promo packages with 2 slices of bread. ANYBODY that wrote to General Baking / Bond Bread was given for free a copy of the card. While I am still researching, this article also indicates that other "picture cards", which I now believe to be the other six attributed to 1947 were distributed at newsstands, candy stores, ice cream stands, etc. This makes sense, given that 6 of the photos were taken with Jackie prior to the start of the 1947 season. At the end of the article, it states clearly that this issue was not limited to NY, but rather distributed in other cities with large Black communities, including but not limited to Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore and Detroit. This covers essentially all the MLB cities in 1947, indicating that this issue was not regional as it was once believed to be.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards