View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
First off is that being a type 1 photo doesn't mean that it is the only one made. Type 1 only means made from the original negative within approximately 2yrs of when the photo was taken.
Second, and to me the most important thing, is to collect what moves you, not what anyone else thinks is rare and cool.
No one knows how many of any photo was made, so no one can say how many still exist.
Best,
Mark

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for answering my questions Mark! And I agree with you about collecting. I'm primarily interested in 1948-1960's Braves and Giants photo's since I lived in the Bay Area in the 60's and in Georgia most of my adult life. But I do occasionally see other old photo's, like the Lefty Grove, that I think are cool and I sometimes bid on those too. I'm still trying to understand the prices I see paid for some photo's that go pretty high, and I assume they were pricey primarily because the bidders knew that the photos were scarce. Some of these pricey photo's being Braves and Giants that I have an interest in, but the photo doesn't seem as nice in content and subject matter as many others I see for less. Anyway ... I'm still trying to get my head around photo pricing and quality. I come from the baseball card collecting world where I understand distribution, pricing, scarcity and condition pretty well ... usually. But then I've been collecting cards for over 40 years :-) It will just take some time for me to better understand some of these things in the vintage photo world. Anyway ... new hobby for me so still learning. Thanks again for answering my questions!