View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Jerry

Hmm ... not sure why my pics didn't show up. I can see them fine. Thanks for re-posting them Lance.

And Mark ... thanks for the feedback on counterfeit stamps. As a baseball card collector we have so many counterfeit issues to deal with when buying vintage cards off eBay. So I was curious about photograph stampings since I'm so new to the hobby and it seems like it would be easy to make/use counterfeit stamps.

As for the stickers on the back of photo's ... I was referring to the eBay seller name sticker "historicimages" on the back of the photo I posted. Thank you Lance for the clarification. I wasn't sure if it was common practice to put a 21st century sticker on the back of a a 20th century photo.

As for the quality of the wire photo's ... I have one wire photo that the lines on the front are more pronounced than on the other photo. I thought maybe if a wire photo was put on a wire machine again it would add more lines as opposed to a wire photo that was an original first copy wire photo never put on a wire machine again. I'm still not sure that made sense :-) Thank you Mark and Lance for the clarification about potential poor wire transmissions and the difference in quality between original photo's and wire photo's in general. This will help me in the future when buying photo's off eBay. Although I must say there are tons of interesting wire photo's on eBay right now, but seeing the quality of the wire photo (front) is rather difficult because of watermarks, etc.

Thank you Lance for identifying this photo as a Type 1. I was not certain. And also for the info. about NEA. BTW ... I tried to ILL the Fogel/Yee and Cycleback books from my public library but was told that the state of Vermont has no holdings for either copy. One of the hazards of living in rural Vermont I suppose :-)

Thanks to all for the feedback. Much appreciated and useful to me as I enter this new hobby!