View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Steve,

Please know that I agree with what you've said here.

As for the, "factory type papercutter," I have an opinion that I would like to share with the group.

For a T206 card, wouldn't the absence of a slightly rounded edge...on one side...the front, if I am not mistaken, be obvious? I have heard (actually, I have, "read" more often than heard) that they were cut in a way that left a telltale sign to look for when discerning whether a particular example had been trimmed.

Again, I am just trying to learn here. I have read a number of great articles on the subject. By far, the one which was most informative was written by someone whose name was credited as being David Cycleback...though I suspect that is a pseudonym...and might just be a fellow Board Member.

As stated, this is a question for the group, at large...and not aimed at you. Please feel free to ignore my post completely.

However, I would like to know everyone's thoughts on this and look forward to your replies.

Best Regards,

Eric
Yes, the biggest trait of an original cut is the slight rounding on the front and a corresponding ridge on the back. That's the difference that can be felt, no need for magnifiers or anything special.

That edge is a remnant of the sort of cutter used. And the rounding and ridge can vary depending on how sharp the blade was. Dull blades leave more rounding than sharp ones. To the point where a factory cut won't always pass grading.

But, and here's the catch. Nearly identical cutters are still the standard for most cutting. They've gotten fancier and more powerful, but they still have a clamping plate and a blade pushed through the stack with a bit of sideways motion. Comic backing boards are about the same thickness, and the ones I have have an edge that's exactly like a T206. I'm not positive that a card cut individually would have the same edge, but it's likely. And if the card was cut along with a stack of blank stock the same thickness I'm almost positive it would. Fortunately the cutters aren't cheap. And someone would have to have a friend with access in a place that allowed some experiments. Probably not happening with a common or two, but with a Wagner? As Scott said everyone likes a little more cash.

Steve B