View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Question

The thing that makes this argument so good is the fact that so many people consider different things to be cards. I don't consider magazine cutouts (Rekord cards in this case) to be cards because it would open up the case for any magazine picture bio's that appear in a magazine on a regular basis to be considered cards ("Faces in the Crowd" from Sports Illustrated would be an example of pictures that would have to be considered cards of Rekord pictures are considered cards). I also don't consider pictures that were never meant to be cut out (Hemmets Journal) and were meant to be put in to a binder as a 4 picture sheet to be cards. I am not just leaving these "cards" out to come to my own conclusion. I am leaving them out because I do not just call something a card because an "expert" says it is. To be a rookie in my book it has to be the first CARD issued, not the first American card (Again this is only my opinion but to say that rookies can only produced in one country is pretty ridiculous. This definition can work, for the most part, with the big 4 American sports but can not work for an international sport or there would be no cricket or rugby rookie cards). If I were to consider the Hemmets Journal a card I would have to think that it was actually MEANT TO BE a card, which I do not ever since I realized that you can not cut any of the "cards" out without damaging the other "cards" on the sheet. The reason I believe the Simon Chocolates is THE CLAY ROOKIE is because I think it is the first card issued of Cassius Clay, not the first picture of Cassius Clay that could be cut out to reasonably look like a card. The definition of a rookie card for boxing is wide open but in no other sport would a Rekord Journal or Hemmets Journal paper picture cut out be considered a card. I think with both of these they really reached in deeming them "cards" (again, my opinion).

Again, this is what makes the argument fun. Some people consider a photo issued by a manager to be his first card. Other people consider the first picture that can be cut out to resemble a card to be his first card. While others consider a factory cut, normally issued card made out of card stock to be his first card. To each their own and everyone should collect what they enjoy.