View Single Post
Old 08-13-2022, 04:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I agree, Bob. I cited the regulation only to make clear that the appraisal doesn't have to jump through the same hoops as an appraisal for a charitable donation of an asset like a card. I also agree that the OP's first stop is the executor of the estate or the trustee of the trust (if the item was in a trust) to ask about whether an appraisal was done and whether an estate tax return was filed. The overwhelming majority of estates will not hit the threshold that requires a return (it is over $12 million right now), so odds are that there was nothing filed and no appraisal done. Which brings us to valuation. If the card is a slabbed mainstream card, odds are there are plenty of comparable sales around the time of death that the collector can rely on to make a case for FMV. If the item is esoteric, however, there may be a need for an appraisal from someone who has enough experience in the field to be able to qualify as an expert in court. As I recall, Heritage at one time actually offered that kind of service for a fee, so perhaps that is a place to start.

I guess I am fortunate that all the stuff I inherited from my parents was crap.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-13-2022 at 04:59 PM.