View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 11:45 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I could see people recognizing him more eventually though. First black manager, still the only man to win the MVP in both leagues. I would agree he's not better than Mays, Aaron, or Musial - but at the same time he's definitely not given his due.
Frank Robinson is definitely undervalued.

Certainly being 5th fiddle behind Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Musial has something to do with it. And despite being a better right fielder statistically than Clemente (overall, but definitely not fielding), he also doesn't hold a candle to him either, from a popularity/value standpoint.

But for me, the reason I don't collect his cards is because he just doesn't have the nicest looking cards. I had one of his rookies graded, it came back a 6.5, but it did nothing for me and I sold it.

I own his '62 Topps, and there are a couple others I like, but I think his joining the League after what some to believe is the Goldin Age of baseball cards (early to mid-50s) has a little something to do with it.

Its crazy to think that a guy who won the Triple Crown and was the only player to win MVP in both leagues wasn't flashy enough, but that may be the case.

Maybe one day that will change, but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-10-2022 at 05:51 PM.