View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Default Sid Smith Brown Old Mill

Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but I thought my post would make more sense in the context of this thread.

I recently picked up what I thought was a new example of a Sid Smith Brown Old Mill graded authentic by PSA.

Smith Brown Old Mill front002.jpg

Smith Brown Old Mill back002.jpg

Based on this thread there are two confirmed Sid Smith Brown Old Mills both graded by SGC.

I was about to post that a 3rd example has been confirmed, but I no longer believe that to be true.

To the best of my knowledge one of the SGC examples was originally in a PSA authentic holder and later encapsulated by SGC. This card was originally part of Goodwin auction XXVI from 4/22/2010.

The second SGC example was part of the REA 5/3/2010 auction.

Chris did a nice job of posting both of these auction links/scans earlier in this thread.

What surprised me was that I found an old scan of a raw Sid Smith Brown Old Mill on my computer.

Sid Smith Brown Old Mill.jpg

The original consignor of the REA Sid Smith Brown Old Mill had sent me these scans around late 2006.

As you can see from the scans both of these backs have the same exact marks around the “I” and “LL” in MILL. In addition, there are other characteristics on the front that indicate it is the same card.

I tried to verify they were the same card using the REA scans, but the scan is too small for me to see the details.

I was able to verify with the REA consignor that his Sid Smith Brown Old Mill was raw when first consigned to REA and that REA had it graded by SGC. In addition, I asked the REA consignor if he feels they are the same card and he also seems to lean in that direction.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Jerry