View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 11:04 PM
ThreadKiller

Default .400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
No doubt....I love flipping over my Ted cards and seeing those stats...the fact he hit over .400 three times! I don't care the others don't count, still cool. Much like big Papi, he went out in style too...how do you retire after hitting 29 bombs, batting .316, and having an OPS of 1.096 in your final year? He played in 113 games, not bad for an old man! I still can't believe he retired with a lifetime .482 OBP...I am pretty sure that is a record. I always geek out wondering what his stats would look like with 4-6 more productive years in his prime that he missed due to the military. Would any lifetime records have been safe?

Again...great card. When I was a kid we had an older gentleman who was a retired teacher living in my town that had a massive vintage collection. His cards were really beat up, written on, ect....but to a 12 year old kid seeing a stack of 63 Topps was unfathomable. He kept a secret stash of cards in his bedroom in a safe, and every once in a while he would bring out a card or two to show us. His pride and joy was a NM 1957 Topps Ted Williams that looked as perfect as a card could be to a 12 year old. I swore it glowed. The perfect year, card, pose for such an iconic ballplayer. This card has always been super special to me and the day I got my own card (not as nice as yours or my childhood card) was a great day...
methinks HORNSBY hit over .400 THREE TIMES, but aside from that, Teddy Ballgame was freakin' amazing AND I love his cards.

DS