View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Bill Gregory

Hi, cbdavids. First of all, though you registered more than a year ago, I don't recall ever speaking with you, personally. So, welcome to the forum.

Six months ago, I'd have said, "yes, it's a PSA 7". Now? To be completely honest, I have no clue anymore. It seems more and more that the whims of the company, and the individual graders, have destroyed any consistency where their standards are concerned.

It's a gorgeous baseball card. As has already been stated in this discussion, I'd love to have that beauty in my collection. I don't know why you're selling, or why you're needing a certain grade (and it's not my place to ask). But the connection to the Splendid Splinter's son, and the card itself, would make it exceedingly difficult for me to sell unless the funds were needed to help my family. I'd do anything for my family; I'd just sell a lot of other cards before I'd part with that one.

Best guess, you're looking at a strong six. The scratch mark, and the rough cut on the bottom, would likely downgrade it some. It might get a 6.5 (they're still doing half grades, are they not?), though I'll be damned if I could discern between a 6 and a 6.5 now given their current grading environment. If this for some kind of registry submission, you might get lucky with multiple submissions. If it's a financial concern, man, you might have a 25% chance at a 7. Depends on the grader, their mood, what they had for lunch.....

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Please let us know.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.