View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 07:30 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
And when we say top row, are we saying only the first several cards would have lettering? The higher number cards would not because further down the sheet?
No. The cards were printed in horizontal strips of ten consecutive numbers with the same subjects repeated vertically. Thus most, if not all, cards on the top row only, would have portions of the caption. Those in the bottom rows would not. It is a curious anomaly that the vast majority of the Becker cards are in remarkably nice condition. I'm guessing that Ms. Becker was more careful with her cutting than a kid would have been and never handed them out. That may also account for the absence of Ring and Kauf and the plethora of Barnes, Adams and Cooper. Perhaps Ring and Kauf were the first subjects to be distributed while the latter three were never given out. I never noticed a different thickness in the card stock. The perceived image quality may be attributable to the Beckers being printed early in the run. I have not seen an uncut sheet, my theories are only that-theories. Due the the size difference, W515 must be considered as two distinct issues. Thanks for posting your cards.