View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 10:16 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Far more likely IHO they would grade a card too low in the hope the unhappy submitter resubmits it and pays another grading fee. Or, if they grade a card too high, it's likely as a favor to someone, not to squeeze out a few more dollars in fees. With due respect Bob, sure it's possible, but I would bet in the real world it isn't much of an issue.
Doesn't matter, as both those instances as you describe them are most definitely potential abuses and absolutely describe potential instances of dishonesty, bias, conflicts-of-interest, and so on that a TPG can easily get away with because they currently have no independent oversight or third-party reviews of what they do.

For whatever reason(s), you and others seem to be focusing almost exclusively on the comments I made regarding TPGs charging contingent fees, in comparison to how CPAs and the rules we have to follow specifically prohibit such a practice, and for which we can lose our licenses to continue being CPAs over. Doesn't mean I am and was not also trying to point out how the lack of independent third-party oversight and review of TPGs can also then lead to them doing, and getting away with, the somewhat heinous actions you are describing. The implied bias and conflict-of-interest of TPGs because of instances where they can be deemed to be charging contingent fees is just a part of the overall issues that exist with TPGs not being subject to more rules, standards, oversight, and reviews, as CPAs are. They, TPGs, are giving their opinions on the authenticity and condition of items that can, and do, have direct financial impacts and effects on others. Exactly the same as when CPAs give their opinions on business financial statements and the financial condition of those companies they examine and audit.

The only real and true difference between the two, IMO, is the number of people, and the potential amount of dollars, that those two group's (TPGs and CPAs) opinions can impact and effect. Obviously CPAs can effect the overall world markets, and literally the economy of the entire planet. TPGs, nowhere near that kind of financial impact and effect. But does that difference in potential reach and economic/financial effect really mean to you and others that you can simply ignore or brush off instances of such blatant biases, lack of independence, conflicts-of-interest, and such from TPGs, and give them a pass by making such statements as you did -With due respect Bob, sure it's possible, but I would bet in the real world it isn't much of an issue.?

With that last statement of yours, you've admitted that such abuses and wrongful acts by TPGs are absolutely possible, but that basically no one cares. Isn't that exactly the problem, and the reason that TPGs can get away with seemingly doing whatever they want, with virtually no consequences or accountability resulting from any of their actions, no one seems to care? People like you and Nic seem to be saying that the TPGs aren't really doing any of those bad things all the time, and certainly not intentionally, so quit worrying and complaining about them because no one else really cares anyway. I'll bet you that with all the rules, regulations and oversight there are covering the financial world and markets, there are quite a number of people that would have wished to God that all those things worked much more effectively when it came to the likes of an Enron or Bernie Madoff back in the day, before both blew up and financially affected/ruined countless numbers of people. Now imagine how the financial markets would be, and all the additional negative things that may have happened, had there been no rules, regulations, independent third-party reviews and oversights at all. Just like there aren't any with regard to TPGs.

And despite the wishes of many, the "hobby" industry seems to be, on a daily basis, becoming more and more like an alternative investment market and industry. So maybe more people should start thinking along the same lines, and try to figure out how to begin going about implementing and imposing more of these same kinds of rules, standards, independent oversight and reviews on TPGs, just like CPAs face for doing the exact same thing, giving one's opinion on the status/condition of an item that can then financially affect others.

You're both basically telling me you don't really care, because no one else does. So, I shouldn't really care and complain either. This may be considered corny, but I'll leave you with the following words/quote, and say no more on the subject then.

“All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing; and most good men nowadays can be relied upon to do precisely that. Where a reputation for intolerance is more feared than a reputation for vice itself, all manner of evil may be expected to flourish.”