View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 03:37 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey,
I am 80+ years old, and I seen a lot of Baseball since 1947. I may have an excuse for being "senile". So, what's your excuse ?

I can understand you favor Cobb since you live in Detroit, but tell us why he played in only three World Series, which he got only 17 hits in 17 games, and batted only .262 ?
Is that mediocre performance indicative of greatness ? ? Cobb's World Series numbers absolutely pale by comparison to Ruth's winning numbers.

Here's my all-time great team.....notice that Cobb is omitted (replaced in CF by Tris Speaker).

1st base..... Lou Gehrig
2nd base.... Rogers Hornsby
3rd base..... Mel Ott
S-S............ Honus Wagner
L-F............. Ted Williams
C-F............. Tris Speaker
R-F............. Babe Ruth
Catcher....... Jimmy Foxx
Pitcher........ Walter Johnson

TED Z
I know you're not arguing that just because the Yankees have bought just about every pennant they've ever won that that makes Babe Ruth the greatest all-time. Ha!

Cobb only played in 3 World Series because the Tigers never had any pitching. Check out the offensive stats of Cobb's Tiger teams and those around Cobb when he played. He absolutely made those around him better hitters. Gehringer, Bobby Veach, Heilmann, Heinie Manush, all players who credit Cobb. Who has ever claimed that Babe Ruth made him a better hitter?

And why, if we use your logic, is Ted Williams on your list? And Walter Johnson was only 3 and 3 in his (only) two world series.

As far as senility goes. I'd be willing to bet at 55 I'm more senile than you are at 80.