View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 AM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
That's kind of an unfair assessment, don't ya think? I mean, we can always look back at any given final score and make these sort of assumptions. The goal is and always has been to score as many runs as possible. So, yes, ten runs would have definitely been better than nine runs because it would have improved their score. What if the home team would have reached nine runs and tied the ball game? Kemp and the Padres would have been glad that they got that extra run to help them win the game. Never leave anything on the table or take any team for granted.
I get where you're coming from, and agree for the most part. I've never understood the "running up the score" complaint sometimes heard in a clear blowout. As far as I'm concerned, if one team is playing so poorly that their opponent can score at will, why not go ahead and do that? Bring your A game or go home. Still, more people will remember the cycle than a random 10-5 win. But as was said earlier, it's not like Kemp actually chose the triple over a homerun.