View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 PM
Rob Bowling

Great thread. Collected in the late 1970’s into the early 1980’s. Mostly bought packs from the convenience store by my house. Still remembering buying ‘80-‘81 Basketball packs for $.10 a pack because the owner could not sell them. My older brother and his friends only bought baseball but I bought football and basketball. I still have an intact Bird/Magic rookie that came out of one of those packs. I slowly built a decent baseball card collection mostly just HOF’ers, acquired from a used book store where the owner just threw cards into a box by sport. Thankfully in the 1980’s I put them in pages in binders, and they stayed that way at my parents’ house until the late 1990’s. Work, marriage and three kids kept me busy and I only added an occasional card or two. However, I had dreams of completing the ‘56 Baseball set as I had a few good cards from that set. My three sons never got into collecting as young kids, now they are all older (17, 20 and 24) and are collecting. The pandemic got me back into it and I finished my first 4-5 sets including my ‘56. It’s a great hobby and I lucked out that my parents never ditched my collection. Also had a Lew Alcindor rookie and some other great basketball and football cards that allowed me to complete some sets without breaking the bank. I really enjoy trading and helping other collectors. Finishing all the Kellogg’s sets now, as I fondly remember my older brother always taking the card out of the cereal box back in the day and then fighting to get one or two. Good stuff