View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Hartland Southland bronze

Hi Guys:

I'll add my two cents to a few of the questions here.

Hartland has had quite a few incarnations over the years. Wisconsin, Texas, Missouri, Louisiana, Ohio etc.

Two long time Hartland collectors started the Southland company to create new statues in the mold of the original Hartlands. They later went their own ways and one took over Hartland in Louisiana.

The initial offerings were plastic statues of Ryan, Griffey, Gwynn, Maddux, and Joe Jackson. The "commons" were painted in uniforms etc. They also produced in very limited quantities these five in silver, gold, pewter and bronze plastic.

Someone asked about lamps. In the tradition of the Hartland Mantle lamp, Southland did indeed offer lamps. Just as the Hartland Mantle lamps, these are quite hard to find! I have Mantle, Jackson and Griffey lamps.

Now onto the solid bronze statues. Here is the checklist for SOUTHLAND bronze statues:

the first five of their statues:

Griffey, Gwynn, Jackson, Maddux, Ryan

The original five HOF inductees:

Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Ruth, Wagner,

a different Mantle pose than the original Hartland,

Ruth/Gehrig different from the Hartland bronze ( more on this later)

Not issued:

Clemente: only a handful were produced due to a legal dispute between Southland and one of their investors who was financing the cost of production for the Clemente

Ted Williams: Only two produced. One for each partner. Southland could not come to an agreement with the Williams family

Football: Running Back

Variations:

Cobb no D on cap, Griffey w/autographed plaque embedded in wood base, Jackson no SOX on cap, Mantle no NY on cap

I have attached an SCD ad and a company promo piece showing the bronze statues. I will try to attach some statues, lamps etc.

When the partnership at Southland broke up, one went on to own the Hartland company. Under that ownership, Hartland made similar solid bronze statues. They produced:

Originals: Banks, Berra, Mantle, Musial, Spahn, Little Leaguer

Dallas: The Confrontation

Missouri: Ryan, Different pose than the Southland, Ryan w/ plaque

Louisiana: Ozzie Smith, DiMaggio running, DiMaggio batting, Ruth/Gehrig, different than the Southland, an 1800's Player w/ gold plaque, 1800's Player with HARTLAND embossed on wood base.

Another cool item or two.

The Missouri Hartland and Southland used the artist Nicolas Calcagno to design their statues. He actually did original artwork for the first five HOFer's see attached.

He also made a LARGE clay sculpture of the Missouri Wagner.

Glad to answer any more questions on Hartlands or Southlands! Or if you want to see more things LMK

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Southland Ad SCD 2.jpg (75.1 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Plastic Southlands.jpg (76.7 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Southland Ad_000100.jpg (73.5 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg bronze clemente at show.jpg (70.9 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg Southland Mantle Bronze.jpg (75.8 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg Williams bronze no name.jpg (76.1 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb.jpg (78.2 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg Jackson Calcagno artwork.jpg (78.9 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson.jpg (78.5 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg Wagner.jpg (78.1 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg Mathewson.jpg (77.9 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg Southland lamp.jpg (29.0 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg Jackson Maddux Bronze.jpg (73.3 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan Bronze.jpg (77.9 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1209.jpg (80.4 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1210.jpg (79.9 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1211.jpg (80.4 KB, 314 views)