View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I know of 3 ungraded Doyles. The 2 owned by the Frisch family and Richard Russell's card in his collection gifted to the University of Georgia. Is your ungraded example one of those?

There are 9 known Doyles, but only 8 possible sets because the UGA one won't be sold. I assume the Frisch family still has both their sets, Ryan has a set and Leon said another board member has a set with Doyle. It is unknown where the other 4 are and if they are in sets or not. As Ryan said, these don't come up for sale and I believe that only 2 of them have sold more than once.
Hi rats60

You are correct, there are only 9 authentic Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L cards known.

Here's the scan of this card from Senator Russell's collection on display at the
Univ. of Georgia. I acquired this picture of it many years ago......

There are 3 other ones that I know of which are (or were) in collections of Charles Conlin, Joe Pelaez,
Keith Olberman. The latter two guys initially purchased FAKE Doyle cards (circa early 1990's).

Speaking about FAKE Doyle Nat'L cards.....there was one graded by PSA with a POLAR BEAR back as
"legitimate". As most of us know, this Doyle was only printed with PIEDMONT 350 backs.
What happened to this FAKE is anyone's guess.

TED Z

T206 Reference