View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 06:13 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I have a fair amount of experience with CSG as both a buyer and a seller. I've also submitted hundreds of cards to them for grading across multiple orders. Most of what I've sent has bent 1986 Fleer basketball, 1950s baseball, and a bunch of other random modern cards.

As far as accuracy goes, they're mostly on point. My pre-grades are almost always accurate with them with very few surprises. I've had about an equal number of cards come back that I felt were overgraded and undergraded, but nothing by more than 1 grade off. The same is true for my submissions with SGC. Both SGC and CSG are far more accurate and consistent than PSA these days. I have also cracked out and crossed over dozens of cards to CSG from PSA, SGC, and BGS. They have all gotten the same grades as they had from SGC, and the only bumps I received were from PSA slabs that I cherry picked because they were undergraded (to be fair though, I probably could have sent those cards back to PSA again and gotten a bump with them). I even crossed over one of my 1986 Fleer SGC 9 Michael Jordan RCs to CSG. They also gave it a 9.

As a buyer, I love their slabs. They have the nicest looking slab on the market by a country mile. And I can usually find nice cards at bargain prices.

As a seller, they don't move very fast if listing as a buy it now on eBay. But they do sell. It just depends on the card. I sold a nice 59 Mantle mid grade a few months back for a fair price. I also sold some 52 Topps cards in CSG holders, and they hit expected hammer prices at auction. They were all mid grades. But those cards also sell for good prices raw if the scans are good, so I doubt the slabs added much value.

I think they're a great option if you're looking for slabbing your own collection. And they're also a great option for vintage cards in the sub $250 value range because grading fees are cheap, turnarounds are fast, and you'll get more accurate and consistent grades than you will at PSA. But if you're looking to grade a mid to higher end HOF RC card that's worth 4 figures or more, you're better off going with SGC for now.