View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 05:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Yeah, when I say cards that “move” are generally ok, I’m talking about ones slabbed in proper holders with the proper recessed dimensions on the rails. All of that goes out the window when they run out of the correct size, and that lazy streak kicks in and they just use whatever they have. Oddball and small sizes of course are always at more risk of having this happen. I’d chew PSA up one side and down the other, and make sure I got paid out if they ever damaged a card due to using the wrong slab.

SGC and the issue from awhile back of cards slipping behind the gasket was scary. Though they have worked to improve the gasket over the last 20+ years, I’m still just not a huge fan of the design. SGC slabs seem to work more like a picture frame with a mat, with the card sandwiched in there. If they do it right it works most of the time, but just doesn’t seem like the best design to me. PSA’s slab has more of a real enclosure, but the cards generally seem to move more within them. I guess everything is a trade off. Beckett had a good idea with the internal sleeve, but it seems to be poorly implemented in most cases because of the shoddy grade of plastic they use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has SGC gotten better with gasket sizing? I had an oversized T206 that came in an SGC slab, and the gasket was the same size as the normal T206 one. The edges were a little smushed in, possible they were before and it was just a really tight but not harmful fit in the slab, but it seemed likeliest the card was damaged by the gasket because it wasn't really the correct size.

Beckett slabs, in my completely arbitrary opinion, are the least good looking. They are so thick and the card seems to be buried in the slab, losing something in the presentation. I think PSA and SGC at least look nicely presented. Beckett is annoying to crack open too.