View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 03:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Cards that move in their slabs (“rattlers”) used to bother me to no end. If the card moved constantly, I would bust the slab. Pretty soon, I was busting most of the ones I bought. Many cards in One Touches did the same thing. The thing about the movement is that while it can be annoying (especially the ones that do it egregiously) I’ve never seen it actually damage a card. I think the physics of most slabs is just such that it would be really difficult to do major edge damage to a card with normal handling. I wouldn’t suggest using a slab as an air hockey puck…

SGC’s jagged edge inserts - they used to be a lot more common than you see now - to me seem more problematic. SGC cards don’t move in the slab nearly as often as you see with PSA, but the potential for something really bad to happen there to me seemed a lot worse.

All of this in the name of grading. Sometimes it’s silly. A card in a toploader and penny sleeve generally won’t move. A card in a card saver won’t move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a T220 Silver McAuliffe in, I think it was a 5, PSA holder. It was put into a PSA holder for a different size card, a T220 is a bit smaller than the modern standard size. So it smacked around, and during shipping, the top left corner got dinged up because the card, whenever it bounced around, was angled and it’s corner was smacking the internal bumper. I compared to the auction scan and sure enough, that corner ding wasn’t there when it was listed.

SGC I had a T card get a nasty gouge from. It was one of those cards that slipped behind the black gasket, but in so doing, only part of the left edge slid under the gasket. About half way down, the card got smushed in and indented by the black gasket.

And I don’t even keep graded cards, I crack ‘em. These may not be issues with the newest slabs, but I’ve never had a card get damaged in a top loader and penny sleeve. A penny sleeve allows some movement but it’s a soft cushion, unlike the SGC gasket.