View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 02:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Agreed. The preservation argument is marketing BS as it's finest. As if any collector who has been doing this for more than five minutes can't protect their cards just as well in One Touches or toploaders or Card Savers or album pages... You kind of have to try to be rough on some of those things anymore to damage them, and certainly people who know what they are doing aren't going to. It's been common knowledge that "baseball cards are worth something" from a household / pop culture perspective for multiple generations now. I'm not really worried about "preserving" my cards when I sub to SGC. I fall prey to the trend like everyone else and want to see what that flip will say...
I've even had more cards sent to me damaged in slabs than I have in top loaders. Loose fitting PSA slabs letting odd sized items smack around, SGC's black insert damaging the border of a card, etc.

I'm a blasphemer though, I use to keep my cards mostly in binder sheets but had to move on from that (I collect print defects and variants alongside my base sets, and it's a pain to move all the cards 1 slot every time I discover a new one...) to penny sleeves and top loaders. That took up too much space, so now 95% of my vintage cards are completely unsleeved and actually handled. All of my Topps/Bowman are pocket free and lined up in 1,600 count shoeboxes. Most of my T cards are naked too. I mostly worry about N cards preservation wise, they have not aged so well as the T cards and post-war vintage and fade.