View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 03:40 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Scoops Carey

The 1903 Washington Senators won 43 games, lost 94, and finished in eighth place in the American League. They were managed by Tom Loftus and played home games at the American League Park I.

Washington had finished in sixth place in each of the previous two seasons (the first two seasons of the American League's existence). However, they fell to eighth and last in 1903. Their only star player, Big Ed Delahanty, got drunk and fell off a bridge into Niagara Falls midway through the season.

The Senators' pitching had always been bad, and indeed, they would allow the most runs in the AL, but without Delahanty the offense sputtered to a halt. Their collective batting average was .231, bad even for the dead-ball era, and no one drove in more than 49 runs.

Player #20: George C. "Scoops" Carey. First baseman with the Washington Senators in 1902-1903. 313 hits and one home run in 4 MLB seasons. He debuted with the Baltimore Orioles in 1895. His best season was 1902 with Washington as he posted a .350 OBP with 60 RBIs in 482 plate appearances.

Carey is quoted in his SABR biography regarding one aspect of playing for the Orioles in 1895: There was also a mission of considerable importance for the Orioles — make life “miserable” for umpires: “They were after the umps all the time and whenever a close decision went against them, there was sure to be trouble. It got them something, too. All the umpires were afraid of the bunch. I remember in one of the games that we played against Cleveland, Bob Emslie called a strike on me that was clearly wide. I started to make a kick. If you say another word I’ll fine you and put you out of the game. There are enough crabs on this team without you youngsters.”

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1655458694
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903BreishWilliamsCareySGC0281Front.jpg (20.7 KB, 1062 views)